It is important to create backup image as part of your recovery plan. A system image is a backup which contains everything stored on your PC such as the Windows 10 full installation, third-party applications, settings, documents and so on. In case your PC fails to boot or any catastrophe events happen, you can completely recover your PC on the same or different hard drive using a backup system image.
In this guide, I walk you through the steps on how to create backup image on the computer system running Windows 10 as well as how to restore full system image using Recovery app in Windows 10 or Windows 10 Installation Disk.
How to create a system image backup in Windows 10
1. Open Control Panel
2. Click Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
3. Click Create a system image
4. You have options whether you want to save a system image on hard drive, DVDs or a network location. The best option I would recommend is on a hard drive. Select On a hard drive and verify your backup drive is correct. In my demonstration, my backup location is drive E:\ which is an external USB hard disk I plugged into my PC. Click Next
5. You can see summarise, telling you about the backup location and what drives includes in the backup. Click Start backup
After your backup completed, a pop up message appears if you want to create a system repair disc. System repair disc is used for booting and recover your PC from the backup. If you have Windows 10 installation disc, you don’t need to create it.
How to do fully recover your PC using a system image backup in Windows 10
There are two options mainly for recover your system. Option #1 is preferable if you can log in to Windows. Option #2 is an alternative choice in case you cannot boot to Windows. Windows 10 Installation Disk is required as part of recovery process in option #2.
Option #1: Recover app your PC using Recovery on Windows 10
1. Open Setting app >> Click Update & Security > Click Recovery
2. In Advanced startup, click Restart Now button.
4. When your PC restarts, go to Troubleshoot >> Advanced Options >> System Image Recovery
5. Follows instructions to recover your PC using the system image backup you created.
Option #2: Recover app using Windows 10 Installation Disk
- Insert Windows 10 Installation Disk to your PC
- Change your BIOS setting to make sure that your PC will be booted using Windows 10 Installation Disk
- If your BIOS setting is correct, the PC will restart under Windows 10 Installation Disk.
- Windows setup screen appears, click Repair your computer
- Go to Troubleshoot >> Advanced Options >> System Image Recovery
- Follows instructions to recover your PC using the system image backup you created.